The symptoms and causes of Onychia and Paronychia are the same however the infected area is different. This is a nail infection but it affects the surrounding area.
The causes of Onychia is due to a bacteria or fungal infection getting into the nail & skin area after it has become injured. The nail and surrounding area can become damaged if you Bite, rip and tear nails or suck on fingers. Dry & brittle nails, Dry Skin, Eczema & Hangnail can also cause or be the cause of damaged area.
Signs of Onychia are:
- Warmness (in infected area)
- Blisters (pus-filled)
- Nail Lifting
If you are suffering with Onychia and you have any blisters/abscesses or the symptoms do not improve it is advised to seek medical advice as they may be able to help fight the infection.
To try and prevent Onychia from occurring you should
• Keep your nails trimmed and smooth but not too short
• Don’t bite or tear nails
• Don’t trim your cuticles
• Use clean clippers and nail scissors
• Protect any cuts around the nail
• Avoid nail & finger injuries
• Treat any Dry and brittle nails, dry skin, Eczema & Hangnail
All information supplied is for reference use only, if you are concerned about any ailments please seek medical advice.